Two Members of Congress Test Positive for Coronavirus

Rep. Mario Diaz-Balart tests positive for COVID-19 coronavirus

Rep. Mario Diaz-Balart of Florida and Rep. Ben McAdams of Utah both tested positive for COVID-19 coronavirus and are currently in isolation. The two members of Congress made the announcement Wednesday night.

Both men were on the House floor early Saturday morning to vote on a coronavirus bill. 

Diaz-Balart is a Republican from Florida's 25th Congressional District, which includes Miami-Dade County. Diaz-Balart sent out this press release:

In an abundance of caution, after votes on Friday, March 13th, Congressman Mario Diaz-Balart decided to self-quarantine in Washington, D.C, and not return to South Florida because of his wife Tia’s pre-existing conditions that put her at exceptionally high risk.  On Saturday evening, Congressman Diaz-Balart developed symptoms, including a fever and a headache.  Just a short while ago, he was notified that he has tested positive for COVID-19. While in quarantine Diaz-Balart has been working from his apartment in Washington, DC. The Congressman said in a statement:

"I want everyone to know that I am feeling much better.  However, it is important that everyone take this extremely seriously and follow CDC guidelines in order to avoid getting sick and mitigate the spread of this virus.  We must continue to work together to emerge stronger as a country during these trying times.”

McAdams is a Democrat from Utah's 4th congressional district. He also sent out a press release on Wednesday:

Congressman Ben McAdams released the following statement about testing positive for the coronavirus and remaining isolated at home as a result:

“On Saturday evening, after returning from Washington, D.C., I developed mild cold-like symptoms. In consultation with my doctor on Sunday, I immediately isolated myself in my home.  I have been conducting all meetings by telephone.  My symptoms got worse and I developed a fever, a dry cough and labored breathing and I remained self-quarantined. On Tuesday, my doctor instructed me to get tested for COVID-19 and following his referral, I went to the local testing clinic for the test. Today I learned that I tested positive.  I am still working for Utahns and pursuing efforts to get Utahns the resources they need as I continue doing my job from home until I know it is safe to end my self-quarantine. I’m doing my part as all Americans are doing to contain the spread of the virus and mitigate the coronavirus outbreak. I urge Utahns to take this seriously and follow the health recommendations we’re getting from the CDC and other health experts so that we can recover from this public health threat.”