Mariah Carey Las Vegas Disaster: ‘The Sounds From The Speakers Were Not From Her Mouth’
Mariah Carey cannot sing anymore and the NY Times gave a devastating review of her Las Vegas residency at The Colosseum at the Caesars Palace hotel which opened on Wednesday.
It looks like Mariah is lip-syncing again despite some publicity pieces on the Internet today that she’s “hitting the high notes.”
Mariah Carey cannot sing and neither can she lip-sync properly. Furthermore, she cannot even record a track perfectly in the studio. I’m glad that the New York Times is calling Mariah’s hot mess like it is.
Here are the New York Times’ most biting quotes (via New Now Next):
– “Ms. Carey is still durable, and sometimes excellent, but her once-transcendent voice is like decaying manufacturing machinery: It still churns, but the product might be polished or dinged. You don’t know until it happens.”
– “The show consists of her 18 No. 1 Billboard hits, and the last of those came in 2007. (There’s a new song, too, called “Infinity” — it won’t be No. 19.)”
– “Maybe the new performance spectacle could resurrect the old vocal spectacle.”
– “When it came to the notes, though, the struggle was real.”
– “As she’s aged, her voice has gotten huskier, but sometimes the rasp felt like a glitch, not a goal.”
– “‘Fantasy’ featured the late Ol’ Dirty Bastard rapping via video, and he felt more alive than Ms. Carey, who was right there onstage.”
– “But as the night wore on, it became increasingly clear that the sounds coming through the speakers were not necessarily coming from her mouth”
– “Whether the decision to undertake this project was born of necessity, hubris or obliviousness, it has put Ms. Carey in a precarious position – she is in decline and trapped in a cage of her own making.”
There are 49 shows left on her 2-year residency. Ouch.