Man Lights Firework On His Head… Dies Instantly
Devon Staples of Calais, Maine, placed a fireworks mortar tube on his head and set if off during the 4th of July. The firework exploded and he died instantly.
We now have a front-runner for the Darwin Awards 2015! Congratulations Devon!
An incredible way to go on the 4th of July. I’m speechless.
A young man who was drinking and celebrating the Fourth of July tried to launch a firework off the top of his head, fatally injuring himself, authorities said Sunday.
Devon Staples and his friends had been drinking and setting off fireworks Saturday night in the backyard of a friend’s home in the small eastern Maine city of Calais, said Stephen McCausland, a spokesman for the state Department of Public Safety. Staples, 22, of Calais, placed a fireworks mortar tube on his head and set it off, he said.
The firework exploded, killing Staples instantly, McCausland said.
His death is the first fireworks fatality in Maine since the state legalized fireworks on Jan. 1, 2012, authorities said.
Calais is on the Canadian border near New Brunswick.