Contaminated Blue Bell Ice Cream Kills 3 in Kansas
Three patients have died in Kansas after consuming contaminated Blue Bell Ice Cream, health authorities said. Local health officials, CDC and FDA say that an outbreak of Listeria monocytogenes infections (listeriosis) were “likely linked to certain Blue Bell brand ice cream products.”
The findings show that the five patients infected with listeriosis were being treated in a Kansas hospital for unrelated problems. This suggests that they acquired the infection in the hospital. From CDC:
Of the four ill people for whom information is available on the foods eaten in the month before Listeria infection, all four consumed milkshakes made with a single-serving Blue Bell brand ice cream product called “Scoops” while they were in the hospital.
The FDA has traced the source of the contamination to Blue Bell Creameries’ Brenham facility in Texas.
Blue Bell Creameries have removed the following products from the market:
|Product Name||Product Code|
|Chocolate Chip Country Cookie||SKU # 196|
|Great Divide Bar||SKU #108|
|Sour Pop Green Apple Bar||SKU #221|
|Cotton Candy Bar||SKU #216|
|Vanilla Stick Slices||SKU #964|
|Almond Bars||SKU #156|
|6 pack Cotton Candy Bars||SKU #245|
|6 pack Sour Pop Green Apple Bars||SKU #249|
|12 pack No Sugar Added Mooo Bars||SKU #343|
These products can still be in freezers of retailers, so for now, please avoid Blue Bell Ice Cream. The CDC “recommends that consumers do not eat any products that Blue Bell brand ice cream removed from the market.”
Investigation is still ongoing.