WWE Smackdown Spoilers for 01/21/2016: Roman Reigns, League of Nations, MizTV
Tonight is the final episode of Smackdown before the Royal Rumble, as WWE World Heavyweight Champion Roman Reigns must contend with the giant target on his back now that the 30-man Rumble is for his title. The spoilers for tonight’s show illustrate just the kind of hell Reigns is going to have to fight through if he wants to remain champion.
Case in point, Reigns catches hell from each of WWE’s two top factions in the main event, as he ended up being attacked by the Wyatt Family after defeating the League of Nations by disqualification in a handicap match. In short, all hell broke loose as the final build to the Royal Rumble is kicked into high gear. But that’s not all, as MizTV featured Intercontinental Champion Dean Ambrose and challenger Kevin Owens, while The Usos, Dolph Ziggler, and The New Day squared off in six-man tag team action. In addition, Chris Jericho, Becky Lynch, Ryback, Titus O’Neil and Stardust appeared on the show. Check out the full spoilers for this week’s Smackdown below via WrestlingInc:
* Chris Jericho kicks off SmackDown with a promo about the Royal Rumble. WWE Tag Team Champions The New Day interrupt and remember Francesca The Trombone again. This segment leads to The New Day vs. The Usos and Dolph Ziggler
* The Usos and Dolph Ziggler defeated The New Day with a triple superkick
* Becky Lynch defeated Alicia Fox by submission
* The Miz comes out for another edition of Miz TV. His guest is Kevin Owens and WWE Intercontinental Champion Dean Ambrose. They talk about their Last Man Standing match at Royal Rumble. Ambrose ended up hitting Dirty Deeds on The Miz. Owens then hit a pop-up powerbomb on Miz to end the segment
* Bray Wyatt defeated Ryback
* Titus O’Neal defeated Stardust
* WWE World Heavyweight Champion Roman Reigns defeated Rusev, Sheamus, King Barrett and WWE United States Champion Alberto Del Rio in a Handicap Match by DQ. The Usos ran down to even the odds and assist Reigns after the disqualification. The Wyatt Family then came to the ring and attacked, ending SmackDown
Well, this is, what, the fourth straight week of DQ finishes on Smackdown? It’s kind of getting out of control at this point, reaching WCW Nitro levels of “no clean finishes”. Granted, I can kind of understand it, since WWE doesn’t want to job anybody out this close to the Royal Rumble. Then again, why even book the match in the first place? Book Roman against somebody he CAN beat, rather than put him in another handicap match that ends in a schmozz finish. Either way, I feel like this main event was intended more to build up the Wyatt Family, as the stable stood tall for a second consecutive TV taping this week. I doubt it means much more than to set him up to be a threat in the Rumble, but you never know. He could be a dark horse to win the title on Sunday. I mean, I’d still put all of my money on HHH returning and winning the thing, but you never know.
What do you think of this week’s Smackdown spoilers? Sound off in the comments!