American Idol Executive Producers Nigel Lythgoe and Ken Warwick won’t be back for Season 13, reports THR. OMG.
Ken and Nigel have been on the show since the very beginning, with Nigel taking a break in Season 8 & 9. This is truly the end of an era for the show.
I think FOX has finally decided that the only way to revive the American Idol brand is a complete makeover.
So the only ones left are Ryan Seacrest and the American Idol logo. If FOX play their cards right, they may still be able to save the show. However, as I’ve written all season — Season 12 had damaged the brand severely. The network will have to take even bigger risks next year. It looks like they are beginning already.
In a move widely expected by industry insiders, American Idol executive producers Nigel Lythgoe and Ken Warwick “will be leaving the show,” a source tells The Hollywood Reporter. However, formal exit discussions have not yet begun.
THR noted in a May 8 story that the two longtime friends and showbiz pros would likely be shown the door, as the Fox series continues to weather a public beating due to sinking ratings — the season 12 finale was down more than 40 percent when compared to Idol’s closer in 2011.
The Latest on American Idol 13
- American Idol XIII Judges and Ryan Seacrest at Omaha Auditions
- Why Jennifer Hudson, Scooter Braun, and Benny Medina aren’t judging ‘American Idol’ – Report
- Fox confirms Harry Connick, Jr., Jennifer Lopez, Randy Jackson for ‘American Idol 13′
- Dr. Luke not judging American Idol – Report
- Dr. Luke to judge ‘American Idol’ – Confirmed
All posts on American Idol 13