It’s official: American Idol has added its first alum to the judging panel.
E! News has confirmed from multiple sources close to the situation that Oscar winner Jennifer Hudson has officially signed a deal to sit at the judges’ table for season 13. The rumors have been circling for several days that Hudson was a frontrunner for the completely revamped judging panel, as part of a plan to staff the judges’ table with Idol alums. The remaining two spots on what’s expected to be a three-judge panel are expected to go to two other Idol vets: Kelly Clarkson and one of either Adam Lambert or Clay Aiken.
Sources report that Clarkson is close to signing on, though there is no word yet on Lambert or Aiken. It’s expected that the producers will choose either one or the other, and not both, as the intention is to stick to a three-person panel.
“It’s Idol alums bringing in the next generation,” says one FOX source about the motivation for this latest casting plan.
Hudson didn’t win the show’s third season but ultimately went on to have one of the most successful post-Idol careers, winning an Oscar for Best Supporting Actress in 2006′s Dreamgirls.
FOX offered no comment on Hudson’s casting.
Via: E! Online
The Latest on American Idol 12
- Mariah Carey hated American Idol – ‘It was like hell’ – Video
- ‘American Idol’ Tour Box Office Report – 32% Capacity, Gross Revenue Down 68%
- American Idol 12 – Live Tour – Song List Spoilers – Video
- American Idol 12 Summer Tour – Sneak Peek – Video
- American Idol 12 – Summer Tour Preview – Gone Gone Gone
- Candice Glover Confirms Album Delay
- Candice Glover’s Debut Album Pushed Back
- ‘American Idol’ Tour Ticket sales down 347% – Report
- ‘Idology’ exit interview: Candice Glover talks getting cut, song arrangements, ‘I Am Beautiful’, much more
- ‘Idology’ exit interview: Kree Harrison talks song choice, Nicki Minaj, judges’ duet comments
All posts on American Idol 12