Carrie Underwood’s ‘Blown Away’ Certified Platinum Making Her First Idol With Four Platinum Albums
Carrie Underwood‘s latest album, Blown Away, was certified platinum, which makes her the first Idol to achieve over 1 million in sales for four different albums.
According to americanidol.com, Carrie Underwood’s fourth album, Blown Away, has been certified Platinum by the RIAA and returns to the No. 1 spot this week, marking six cumulative weeks at the summit of Billboard’s Top Country Albums Chart.
That makes Underwood the first American Idol contestant to achieve four platinum albums, though Kelly Clarkson is hot on her heels, with Stronger expected to be her fourth album to be certified platinum in the near future.
American Idol has plenty of other tidbits to share about their country star, including:
- Carrie has received five CMA Awards in her career, including three consecutive wins as Female Vocalist (2006, 2007, 2008), as well as Single of the Year (2007 for “Before He Cheats”), and the Horizon Award (2006)
- Carrie and Brad Paisley will return to host “The 46th Annual CMA Awards” for a fifth time in 2012.
- Blown Away’s second single and title track entered the Top 10 this week as it continues to climb the Billboard country airplay chart. This marks Carrie’s 16th single to reach the Top 10, which according to Billboard is a record among women in the tally’s 68-year history.
- Blown Away made history this spring by debuting at No. 1 on Billboard’s Top Country Albums Chart making Carrie only the second country artist in the 47-year history of the chart to have each of their first four albums debut at No. 1.
- Blown Away also debuted at No. 1 on the all-genre Billboard 200 chart making Carrie only the second country artist in history to have three consecutive albums debut at No. 1.
- “Good Girl,” her first single from Blown Away, has already achieved the No. 1 slot on both Billboard andCountry Aircheck’s country airplay charts and became her 15th No. 1 single.
- Since releasing Some Hearts in 2005, Carrie has sold more than 15 million albums with Some Hearts, 2007’s Carnival Ride, and 2009’s Play Onmaking her the best-selling American Idol in the U.S.
- She’s accumulated 15 No. 1 singles, seven of which she co-wrote, and became the first country artist in history and the only American Idol winner ever to achieve 10 No. 1 singles from their first two albums.
- She is a five-time Grammy winner, a two-time Academy of Country Music Entertainer of the Year, a three-time Country Music Association and ACM Female Vocalist winner, and a proud member of the Grand Ole Opry.
Those are some pretty impressive accomplishments! You have to think Simon Cowell must still smile a little every time she sets another Idol record. After all, he did famously predict she would outsell all previous Idol winners and not only has she done that, no one has even come close to matching her since. Perhaps instead of blaming it on WGWG or the curse of Kristy Lee Cook, we should call it the curse of Simon Cowell?
Here’s a video of an interview Simon did with Oprah discussing Carrie, which includes a clip of his famous prediction: